Friday, September 7, 2012

Response to "Big Ideas for Better Schools"

I really really enjoyed this video as I completely agree with a lot of the topics discussed. A handful of  topics really stuck out the most: Project-based projects, comprehensive assessments, teacher prep, and parent involvement. There were other topics that I feel could have been expanded more on, like technology. When discussing technology, I think we can all agree that technology in the classroom is vital, but even the video seemed to be out-dated as far as the actual technology used. Technology is advancing so quickly that the resources used in the classroom need to be timeless and still effective 5 years from then, like computer research and tv presentations. There was a lot of good info on here, and I hope being first on the list that the rest of the class chose this assignemnt as well.

Project-based projects was a big one for me. When the video showed students desgining a future schoool and designing (and racing!) electric cars, I could see the impact on the students faces and urgency in the way they were working. I think giving a project that extra value amps up the student's effort and catches attention better than a written assignment or test. Using projects to really engage learning and go in depth probably also increases test scores by itself. This ties into the topic of comprehensive assessments being that sometimes using the test as the sole motivator doesnt do the trick. Learning for the sake of learning is what really promotes knowledge and not just for the sake of "to get a good grade" or "to pass the final". One thing a teacher said was they compile all the students' projects into a multimedia file as a sort of education portfolio.  I think this is the greatest Idea and I WISH I had all my projects (presentations/speeches/the volcano/etc) compiled! Teacher Prep is another big one as I completely agree that prospective teachers are better off the soner they can get into the classroom. Personally, I'd like to apply the lessons in college to the classroom and really filter what works and what can be expanded on. Having peer and admin support is key as well.
Finally, parent involvment was touched on. I beleive parent and community involvment is important to promote a solid emotional and social foundation of a classroom. Whether that be perfoming in fornt of parents or accepting community input, community involvement allows students to feel like they are really cared about and that schooling isnt just an open and shut book, that education is ongoing and omniscent.

1 comment:

  1. I also blogged over this video. I agree with you 110% about project based learning. Things like this do make a major and important impact on students. I also agree about potential teachers are better of getting into to class room sooner then later. Great Blog!

    ReplyDelete